COVID- 19 Information

General practice is in crisis - Click here to view open letter to patients

Covid Passports

We are unable to issue Covid Passport certificates at the practice.

Please see for further information.

Proof of your vaccination status will be available on the NHSapp, which is also valuable for accessing your health records and ordering repeat prescriptions.

The NHSapp can be downloaded from for iPhone or for android.

Alternatively you can call the NHS helpline on 119 (from 17 May) and ask for a letter to be posted to you. This must be at least 5 days after you’ve completed your course of the vaccine, the letter may to take up to 5 days to reach you.

Coronavirus Vaccine 

Following updated guidance from the government, The Northfield Medical Centre and South Blaby & Lutterworth PCN are working to prioritise Covid vaccination appointments. Patients will be contacted for their appointment in order of clinical priority and vaccine availability . These priority groups are determined centrally by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation. Please do not contact the Practice to ask when your appointment will be as the reception team will not be able to tell you. Currently our vaccination clinics are held at The Kube at Leicester Racecourse, Oadby.

For more information :

Change to our Normal Processes

If you need to contact the practice for any reason, please do not attend the practice in the first instance. Instead, call us or submit an Online Consultation and your symptoms will be triaged. If an appointment is required, this will then either be made for you or you will receive a telephone call from a clinician.

Prescriptions will be sent electronically to your nominated pharmacy or will be collected by your local pharmacy.

Our priority is to protect our patients and staff and we thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter.


Face Coverings 

Northfield Medical Centre requests that all patients attending for appointments wear face coverings.

Exemptions - people who do not have to wear a face covering

The requirement to wear a face covering does not apply to:

  •     a child under the age of 11
  •     passengers in an allocated cabin, berth or other similar accommodation, when they are alone or with members of their household or support bubble
  •     passengers who remain in their private vehicle while on board public transport, for example on a car ferry
  •     an employee of the transport operator, when they are acting in the course of their employment
  •     any other person providing services to the transport operator, under arrangements made with the transport operator, who is providing those services
  •     a constable or police community support officer acting in the course of their duty
  •     an emergency responder such as a paramedic or fire officer acting in the course of their duty
  •     an official, for example a border force officer, acting in the course of their duties


You also do not need to wear a face covering if you have a good reason not to. This includes:

  •     if you have a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability that means you cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering
  •     if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering would cause you severe distress
  •     if you are travelling with, or providing assistance to, someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
  •     if you are travelling to avoid injury or escape the risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you
  •     if you need to remove it during your journey to avoid harm or injury or the risk of harm or injury to yourself or others
  •     if you need to eat, drink, or take medication you can remove your face covering
  •     if you are asked to remove your face covering by a police officer or other official, for example to check your railcard

The current government guidance on exemption suggests there is no requirement for evidence of exemption therefore it is sufficient for an individual to self-declare this.  The GP is not in a position to provide individual risk assessments or letters for patients who feel they meet the criteria to be exempt. 

To assist in your self-declaration you can follow the link and print off an applicable card to carry.

Or you can buy one for £0.55p from the Hidden Disabilities website:


COVID-19 Research

Please click here for more information regarding COVID-19 research.


Where to go when in need of support during the COVID-19 pandemic

Highest Clinical Risk Group (For shielded patient in above highest clinical risk group)

  •         All patients at highest clinical risk who are shielding are asked to register to the Government Support This service provides access to food and medications whilst at home if needed.
  •         To access this, patients must be flagged as highest clinical risk by the central process, their GP or a hospital specialist. 
  •         You can call the Government’s dedicated helpline on 0800 0288327.


Anyone in need (including those in the highest clinical risk group)

NHS Volunteer Responders:

You can submit a live referral for an individual that needs support or an NHS service that requires volunteers providing they meet the referring criteria at or on 0808 196 3382.

 Volunteers can provide:

(1) Check in and chat support – short-term telephone support to individuals who are at risk of loneliness as a consequence of self-isolation (note, this is not mental health advice);

(2) Community support – collection of shopping, medication or other essential supplies for someone who is self-isolating, and delivering these supplies to their home;

(3) Patient Transport – transport to take patients home who are medically fit for discharge

 Blaby Council Community Hub

  • A dedicated webpage for people with online form for people to register themselves or a relative for help or to volunteer their time. If you want to volunteer or know any isolated individuals, visit to complete the form.
  • A Helpline will be available which is 0116 275 0555 – anyone can ring this if they are vulnerable and have no other support or if they know of someone who needs help
  • Practical support such as urgent food supplies, collection of medication and checking on/calling vulnerable people
  • Signposting and connecting people to others in the district and ideas for ways to keep well during this difficult time, such as exercising at home and keeping connected
  • A place for those who want to volunteer or help
  • This service will prioritise those people who have no one else to help and who are the most vulnerable, for example over the age of 70, have an underlying health condition, families struggling to cope and those people who have received a letter from NHS England stating they are in a priority group.

Mental Health and Wellbeing

Public Health England have provided some guidance on looking after mental health and wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic

Employment and Financial Support

The government has provided advice on employment and financial support on their website:

Social Prescriber

Please contact our reception team if you would like a referral to our social prescriber who can help you to access support that is available to you.

Get the latest NHS information and advice about coronavirus (COVID-19).

Check if you or your child has coronavirus symptoms

Find out about the main symptoms of coronavirus and what to do if you have them.

Self-isolation and treatment if you have coronavirus symptoms

Advice about staying at home (self-isolation) and treatment for you and anyone you live with.

Testing and tracing

Information about testing for coronavirus and what to do if you're contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service.

People at high risk

Advice for people at higher risk from coronavirus, including older people, people with health conditions and pregnant women.

Social distancing and changes to everyday life

Advice about avoiding close contact with other people (social distancing), looking after your wellbeing and using the NHS and other services during coronavirus.

GOV.UK: coronavirus – guidance and support

Government information and advice.



Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website